Guidance for first-time employers
Moving from being completely volunteer-run to employing staff is a significant step for any organisation. It is important to know what issues should be considered and where you can access guidance and support.
Issues to consider
The Management Committee will need to take time to consider:
- What are the implications of this change for the organisation and its volunteers (including the Management Committee members)? Are these acceptable and manageable?; and
- What steps need to be taken before and after taking on new staff to ensure that the organisation is meeting its new legal obligations and can manage the staff member effectively?
Resources for first-time employers
The resources indicated below will provide you with helpful guidance as you consider these issues.
Voluntary Arts Ireland have developed an excellent checklist for organisations in Northern Ireland considering employing staff. It covers issues relating to:
- deciding whether to recruit staff;
- the recruitment and selection process;
- wages and payroll;
- employee rights and benefits; and
- ongoing organisational development.
NICVA's downloadable manual for voluntary and community organisations in NI. (Note - does not include changes in legislation since date of publication. Refer to NICVA's staff handbook for up to date terms and conditions).
NICVA's up to date staff handbook can be downloaded and used as a model by other organisations.
More information and resources relating to your responsibilities as an employer.