Principle 5 - An effective board will provide good governance and leadership by behaving with integrity and by being open and accountable
The board will be open, responsive and accountable, acting at all times with integrity, in the interest of the organisation and its beneficiaries. The board will:
- Act according to high ethical standards.
- Identify, understand and manage conflicts of interest and loyalty.
- Maintain independence of decision making.
- Ensure open communication by informing and consulting people about the organisation and its work.
- Listen and respond to the views of beneficiaries, service users, funders and supporters with an interest in the organisation’s work.
- Handle complaints constructively, impartially and efficiently.
- Consider organisational responsibilities to the wider community, society and the environment.
- Consider organisational responsibility in promoting equality and good relations.