Principle 4 - An effective board will provide good governance and leadership by exercising appropriate control
As the accountable body, the board will maintain and regularly review the organisation’s system of internal controls, performance, and policies and procedures, to ensure that:
- The organisation understands and complies with all legal and regulatory requirements that apply to it.
- The organisation has appropriate up to date internal financial and management controls.
- It regularly identifies and reviews the major risks to which the organisation is exposed and has systems to manage those risks.
- Delegation to committees, staff and volunteers (as applicable) works effectively and the use of delegated authority is properly supervised.
- Proper arrangements are in place for the recruitment, supervision, support, appraisal and remuneration of all staff including the most senior member of staff.
- Volunteers are managed and supported.