Introducing the code
What is the Code?
The Code of Good Governance is a best practice document, setting the standard for all governing committees/boards in the voluntary and community sector in Northern Ireland.
Its seven key principles cover:
- Responsibilities and obligations
- Reviewing and renewing
It is intended to help and support organisations by identifying the standards to which they should be working as management committees, executive committees, boards of directors, boards of trustees or any other type of governing body.
The Code is not mandatory but rather aims to encourage better governance in the sector. Organisations that comply with the Code are invited to state this in their Annual Report and other relevant published material, demonstrating their commitment to good governance.
Where did it come from?
Both government and the voluntary and community sector in Northern Ireland have long recognised the need for a proactive approach in promoting good governance in the sector.
This Code has been adapted from the Good Governance Code adopted by the voluntary and community sector in England and Wales. The Northern Ireland version has been produced by the Developing Governance Group - a group of voluntary and community sector associations, working to improve the quality of governance in voluntary and community organisations in Northern Ireland.
How can groups use the Code?
- Circulate copies of the Code of Good Governance to members of your management committee/board to increase awareness of the best practice standards expected. (See below for relevant links)
- Benchmark your current practices against the key principles and supporting principles that form the best practice standard. This can help to identify and prioritise areas for development or improvement. Why not use our NEW Governance Health Check tool!
- Use www.diycommitteeguide.org to access further guidance and resources, structured under the principles of the Code. Many of the member organisations of the Developing Governance Group will be able to provide practical assistance in terms of advice, training and support.
- Subscribe to the Code. Organisations that comply with the Code are invited to state this in their Annual Report and other relevant published material, demonstrating their commitment to good governance.
- To download the Code of Good Governance please click here
- Order copies of the Code of Good Governance as booklets or posters from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Benchmark practices using the NEW Governance Health Check tool
- Guidance on how to use the DIY Committee Guide
- The Developing Governance Group
- To download a copy of the new governance healthcheck please click here