Often adopted by small groups operating in local areas where potential new members are drawn from a very restricted pool of people. Individuals may speak informally to existing committee or staff members.
- Requires little bureaucracy
- May generate interest with minimal effort
- May present limited opportunity to review relevant skills and experience or check whether they meet essential criteria for the role
- It may restrict the ability to identify people with different skills, experience and backgrounds
- It makes it less likely that diversity issues on the committee will be effectively addressed
- It may also be difficult to be completely fair and consistent if choosing between applicants