Preferred by some large organisations or where an organisation wishes to assess against key competencies for the role; and/or formally request permission to check criminal records due to financial responsibilities involved or access to children or vulnerable adults through role.
- Ensures that all candidates are asked to present same categories of information and therefore increases fairness and consistency
- Questions on the form can be tailored to requirements of the role ensuring selection is on basis of relevant information only
- Formal requests for checking criminal records or declarations on other issues which could preclude their membership can be incorporated
- Applicants can be measured against criteria. Encourages applicants to consider in advance the demands of the role and whether they have the appropriate skills and qualities
- Approach is very formal and time-consuming for the applicant and may reduce the number of applications